- John 14:15-17- the Holy Ghost is a comforter. To receive the Holy Ghost disciples must keep the commandments.
- John 14: 26-27- he teaches, he gives peace. Disciples must not be troubled or afraid.
- John 15: 26-27- he testifies of Christ,. Disciples must bear witness of Christ.
- John 16: 7-8- he reproves the world of sin, and of righteousness and of judgement.
- John 16: 13-14- he will guide you in all truth, show all things to come, glorify Christ, and show it unto you.
2. Add to your list above as you study the following resources:
- Institute student manual Points to Ponder, "The Holy Ghost Brings Man to His Fullest Potential" (pg. 168)- The Holy Ghost helps with everything even wisdom and intellect. It develops everything of good nature like sympathy, joy, kind feelings, and affection. The Holy Ghost inspires virtues such as kindness, goodness, tenderness, gentleness, charity, and virtue. It beautifies everything it touches even people. The Holy Ghost is everything to us, as the manual said "It is, as it were, marrow to the bone, joy to the heart, light to the eyes, music to the ears, and life to the whole being."
- Institute student manual Points to Ponder, "As a Messenger of the Godhead, the Holy Ghost Teaches Faithful Members" (pg. 168)- The Holy Ghost is a likeness of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, he instructs and enlightens the minds of those who keep the commandments, he bears witness of the truth and reveals mysteries of the kingdom of God to those who have made covenants, he is a special messenger. Disciples must be faithful in keeping their commandments in order to have the Holy Ghost.
- Bible Dictionary, "Holy Ghost" (pg. 704)- The Holy Ghost is a power and a gift. The power is the convincing witness that the gospel is true it's what we get testimonies from. The gift is a cleansing agent that purifies us from sin. Disciples have to be baptized and conferred to have the gift of the Holy Ghost, they have to be worthy of the companionship.
3. Review your list of what the Holy Ghost does. Then write responses to the following tasks:
- Describe how the Holy Ghost helped the Apostles fulfill their missions after the Savior's death and resurrection.
- After the Savior died the Holy Ghost helped the Apostles fulfill their missions by letting them know what to do. The Spirit guided them in what they should teach and who they should teach, instead of having Christ there to help teach them what to do the Holy Ghost was their new companion.
- Write a paragraph about a time when the Holy Ghost blessed you in one of the ways you listed above. Give an example of how the Holy Ghost has inspired you.
- I have been lucky to have been blessed by the Holy Ghost on multiple occasions in multiple different ways. One specific incident that I remember quite well because it just happened this semester was the Holy Ghost guiding me in truth and showing me what I was to do. I was having a really tough time deciding whether or not I needed to move to Utah or stay at BYU-Idaho, I couldn't decide what was right. At first I felt like I needed to move to Utah and I felt super strong about it and then as things started falling in place my parents told me they didn't support that idea anymore. I was very confused. I fasted, prayed, read my scriptures I had no idea what I was supposed to do. I got a blessing and it still didn't tell me. I was at a loss, and then one morning I was doing my homework and it just popped in my head loud and clear that I needed to stay in Idaho. I tried to ignore it saying it was just me saying that but it would not go away. I couldn't focus on my homework because the thought was so loud. I put down my homework and read my scriptures and felt good about staying in Idaho even though it wasn't what I wanted at first. I still don't know exactly why I'm supposed to stay in Idaho but I know that I will be happiest here because the Holy Ghost confirmed that to me.
- The Holy Ghost has inspired me many times. It has inspired me to say something to someone or to leave nice notes for my roommates when I wasn't sure why and then I would find out later they were going through a hard time and really needed words of encouragement.